We are a Modern Church in KCK, and we LOVE the truth of God’s Word and preach the whole gospel! Modern elements can’t replace a Holy God and His presence, but we believe you can have both! Come and check our church out some time.
Did you know statistics say the 60% of adults can’t have a 10 minute conversation without telling a lie and within those 10 minutes three lies were told? 66% of Americans say it’s not wrong to tell a lie. Only 33% agree with the statement, “Honesty is the best policy.”.
Let’s face it, human beings are basically deceptice. We gossip. We skirt around the truth. We insinuate. We boast or tell half truths. Even our body language can be deceptive.
Let’s take a look at how God feels about lying.
I promise you that on the day of judgment, everyone will have to account for every careless word they have spoken Matt 12:36 CEV
Your father is the devil, and you do exactly what he wants. He has always been a murderer and a liar. There is nothing truthful about him. He speaks on his own, and everything he says is a lie. Not only is he a liar himself, but he is also the father of all lies. John 8:44 CEV
We will be judged for the words that come out of our mouths. And according to Jesus every lie comes from satan. Lying is the devil’s nature. When we lie we take on that nature. Lying is never of God. This is what Jesus said about Himself,
“I am the way, the truth, and the life!” Jesus answered. “Without me, no one can go to the Father.” John 14:6 NLT
Jesus did not just tell the truth, His very nature is truth. We are to take on His nature. But just what is truth?
- Complete Truth-Partial truth is a lie. This can even affect the pulpit where parts of the truth are omitted so as not to offend church members.
- Consistent Truth-Tell the truth all the time. Honesty should be the lifestyle of a Christian. It only takes one lie to become a liar.
- Truth told Lovingly-Never use the truth like a club. People change easier and faster when you speak the truth in love. Without love truth is seen as an attack. How can you tell if you are speaking the truth in love? Ask yourself if what you are saying is for your benefit or the other person.
- Truth Told Tactfully-This requires skill and direction. Tactfulness is not weak or deceptive. If you want the truth to be effective you must use strategy.
You poisonous snakes! How can you evil people say anything good? Your mouth says what comes from inside you. Matthew 12:34 (GW)
It’s about what’s in the heart. What comes out is what’s already inside. If lies are coming out it’s an indication of what’s in your heart. The actual lie is not the only thing but why are you lying? What is your motivation?
People lie for various reasons. Let’s consider the following,
- The Cruel Lie-This lie is intentionally malicious and destructive. The motive behind this lie is jealousy, revenge, hatred, or bitterness.
- The Cowardly Lie-This lie is told to escape the consequences of some
wrongdoing. The motive is fear.
- The Conceited Lie-This lie is told to impress. The motive here is insecurity.
- The Calculated Lie-This lie is told to gain some personal benefit such as lying on your taxes, a job application, or even giving to the church. Statistics bear out that less than 5% of church people tell the truth when it comes to their giving. The motivation here is, “I want what I want.”.
- The Convenient Lie-This type of lie is told because the truth is too much effort. We lie when we are late. We lie to get out of doing things. We lie and gossip instead of getting to the truth. The motivation here is laziness.
So how do we stop lying? We have to get a new heart. We have to get close to the Truth. Remember Jesus is truth and the closer we get to Him the more we will love the Truth. Spend time with the Truth in prayer and reading the Bible.
Confess to God that you are a liar and ask Him to fill you with His Spirit. The Spirit of Truth will push out every lie.
I challenge you to start speaking the truth this week. Start now. Do it lovingly but do ti. You may find it to be painful at times but do it.
Nothing evil will be allowed to enter, nor anyone who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty—but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Rev 21:27 NLT
Father I confess I am in need of a new heart. I tell lies. I lie to myself. I have even lied to you to get what I want. I ask you to forgive me and make me new. Help me to hate every lie and love truth. In the name of Jesus, Amen.
A psalm of David. LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others; pSALM 15:1-3